Willful product selections are curated based on items I use, have used, and truly love. If you purchase through one of my links I may earn an affiliate commission. This commission is at no cost to you.
My super easy sugar free sandwich bread recipe
What you will need:
2 1/2 cups of warm water
Two bowls, whisk, and a tea towel
If your family is like mine bread goes fast! You’re probably looking for a super easy recipe. I hope you like this one. I have been trying to get as much sugar out of my family’s diet as possible. So I started making this easy sugar free sandwich bread.
- In your first bowl, combine 1/2 TBSP yeast and 2.5 cups of warm water. Cover bowl with tea towel and allow to sit on your counter in the sun for warmth if possible for a few minutes until bubbles appear.
okay, so admittedly this bowl has a top and sometimes I just place that over the bowl for the first rise instead of the towel. Either works really.
2. While you wait for the bubbles in a different bowl combine 3 cups of unbleached flour, 1 TBS salt, and 2 TBSP of olive oil.
3. Now that you see bubbles on the top of your yeast bowl. Gradually add some of your flour mixture. As you mix it will seem too wet and sticky at first. Don’t worry ! Just keep going.
4. Gradually mix in the rest of the unbleached flour, bread flour or honestly your preferred flour. I knead in the bowl to an elastic like dough. I keep it in the bowl mostly to contain my mess but feel free to do it on your counter. Just don’t forget to dust it with flour. I use the remaining, about 1/2 cup of flour as I stretch and fold the dough. Then I dust the outside of the dough ball.
5. Place dough ball back in bowl and cover with tea towel. Allow it to sit for two hours for dough to double. Preferably in a warm area.
Pictured is right after the kneading. After the first rise my dough ball about touches the bowl’s rim.
6. Now punch ! Ha I don’t know why but I really like that part. After your ball has doubled, punch it down. I like to knead a little more on a floured surface before I split the ball in half.
The dough is not as sticky as the first mix so I just dust the counter for this. It is not as bad of a clean up at this stage. More like a wipe down really.
7. Place your now two dough balls in to whatever pans you have, or just bake on a flat pan if you feel like it. I use two 9×5 greased bread loaf pans most of the time. Cover with tea towel again and allow to rise once more. About two hours again. I know, I know. Another two hours, you have got to be kidding me. Just set a timer again and go do something. I wish that something was quiet time or an episode or two of a good show but almost always one of my four kids need something. Maybe its enough time to get that one thing done you have been pushing off.
Okay now this pictured is before the second rise. I don’t know why I only took before pictures. Anyway, my pans look like bread muffins after the second rise. Puffy right past the top of the pan.
8. Now you bake! I bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 min. I wait for a light golden brown and hollow sounding. Leave in longer if you like darker bread but be careful to not dry and burn.
There you have it ! now all you have to do is allow loafs to cool after removing from pans. I cooled on trivets but sometimes I let them cool on wire stands, or on my cutting board. Do what works for you.
I hope you enjoy this easy sugar free sandwich bread as much as we do!